The Johnson Journal

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

California Love

We just returned from our family vacation to San Diego. It was nice to have some quality time together and the boys loved being able to hang with dad for 9 days. We also were privileged to be joined part of the time by my sis and her husband, as well as Scott's parents. The boys were really spoiled with all of the attention and Scott and I were spoiled with all of the help. Needless to say, we had a great time and fit in a lot of fun things.

One of our favorite things was a kayak tour that Scott and I got to go on together. It was in and around the caves off the shores of La Jolla. We had an amazing tour guide who grew up in San Diego and therefore knew everything there was to know about the area. We kayaked alongside a seal, many sea lions and lots of small sharks. The guide showed us where Dr. Seuss used to live and pointed out many of the inspirations for his books. Scott and I were lucky to be able to go in through the backside of a really large cave. It was against the rules, but since it ended up being a private tour and our guide was cool, we got the VIP tour of the cave. Unfortunately, I have no pictures because my camera is not waterproof, but you can take my word that it was incredible. Scott and I hung on the beach after to watch the sunset.

During the remainder of the trip, Scott managed to fit in a baseball game and I managed to fit in a movie. The boys took almost daily trips to the park and we hit the beach as often as we possibly could.

I think Scott and I might have been a bit crazy because we thought it would be a great idea to fit in 4 major attractions in 2 consecutive days with 2 small children. The boys were real sports and we all had a blast, but at the end of the second day and the fourth attraction, here is how Tate and Miles ended up. Don't ask . . . . . .






Here is my tribute in pictures to our incredible vacation:

Wild Animal Park and San Diego Zoo


They had a special feature at the Wild Animal Park this summer called "Dino Mountain." Miles went crazy for the T-Rexes.












"Otis" the hippo. He was a favorite of both boys.


I desperately wanted to take this adorable baby panda bear home with me.
Not sure how cute he'd be as a pet though.


Scott in blue, while smiling and posing next to a cougar.
The day has finally come. :)



Miles' version of rhinoceros horns.





Legoland and Sea-Life Aquarium









This is one of my favorite pictures of Tate.
It just seems to fit his personality so well.






Times Square created out of Legos. Amazing!





General rule of thumb: at least 2 hands on Tate at all times.




Pool Party








Beach Bums








Scott's tribute to all of the Europeans on the beach.


The backside of Scott's Euro tribute.











My handsome boys. Such a fun time!

3 comments:

kayej said...

What a fabulous group of memories. It's so fun to see all that you did. And fun to see the things we were fortunate to share with you. And a good time was had by all.......

Love, Grammy K

angie said...

You guys needed that time! I love the pics. What a blast! Tell Scott, we loved the European tribute.

Angelle said...

I love that Scott was feeling the connection with his European brothers. I think everybody on the beach won!